The Hind Kusht Nivaran Sangh (HKNS), the Indian Leprosy Association, registered in 1949 (hereafter referred to as Sangh) is successor of the British Empire Leprosy Relief Association (BELRA), which was founded well back in 1925 with the objectives of serving leprosy afflicted individuals, removing stigma of leprosy from the society and promoting social & research activities in the field of leprosy in India. The Indian Council of British Empire Leprosy Relief Association (BELRA) was founded on 27th January 1925. BELRA was renamed as Hind Kusht Nivaran Sangh (Indian Leprosy Association). Hind Kusht Nivaran Sangh (Indian Leprosy Association) came into existence on 19th August 1949, registered under Registration of societies act XXI of 1860.
Present Headquarter is at New Delhi. The Sangh has 18 state branches located in different parts of the country. BELRA the parent organization of Hind Kusht Nivaran Sangh had its First meeting at London in January 1924 with His Royal Highness, Prince of Wales as patron. Indian Council of the BELRA was an auxiliary branch established by His Excellency the Earl of Reading, the then Viceroy and Governor General of India in January, 1925. It started with a fund of Rs 20 lack (Two Million INR) generated from donations from governors and princes of India